12/27/15

A Beautiful Article. Two Beautiful Young Girls

I'm getting a late start this morning, and I find it a bit ironic that the day after I share a few of the pages I follow for "Liver Kids" as I call them, one that I wasn't sure I followed directly popped up with a beautifully written article. Kyree is recovering in Children's from a triple organ transplant. She met her donor family. They met up through social media which is truly changing the transplant world. Adam Snow's family was able to get the word out about his need when acute liver failure almost took his life. Lucas received a direct donation because his donors family was told of him when their little angel received her wings.  A foster child from Ohio, Jamie, was able to have a live donor transplant due to social media spreading the word. For Wyatt, a lot offered to be tested.


There is a huge shortage of available organs for transplant world wide. Liver and Kidney are two that can, at times, be from a live donor. The liver regenerates, and with in months, the donated portion is back to original size. We can live with one kidney. And live donor transplants do offer the recipient a better chance, because in many cases, the recipient doesn't have to wait as long as if they were waiting for a cadaver organ. And there's also the guilt.

Every transplant family knows the guilt. We end up praying for the call, knowing that the same call means another family has lost a loved one. It's an emotional roller coaster the whole way through.

I sat in tears as I read the article of Arianna and Kyree. It really does show how the power of social media can connect people in ways that we have never known before now. Wondrous ways.

 Ariannas gift: Lancaster family's decision makes groundbreaking organ transplant possible



0 Comments:

@TerrorMom

My photo

I guess I'm actually supposed to fill this out. I'm a passionate medical mom of a 19 year old liver/CRPS patient. My goal with my blog is to raise awareness for his conditions. And to hash out my feelings about it. There are a lot of raw emotions when your life is suddenly stalled by any illness, let alone your child's illness. 

I'm also attempting to either "find myself" or "remake myself". So much of my time and energy goes into caring for both my mother (end stage COPD) and son, along with trying to be Mom to my younger son and a wife, that most of the time I feel lost. I tend to put myself on a back burner and right now I'm burning out. 
 

At Home With TerrorMom Template by Ipietoon Cute Blog Design and Bukit Gambang